Our MissionThe ECS gifted and talented program was developed to ensure that our students are challenged to achieve their highest potential, and that curriculum and learning opportunities are in line with their specific needs, interests, and abilities.
- District administration, teachers, families, and the community share the responsibility to provide relevant and challenging opportunities to develop the individual potential of advanced learners.
- Gifted students have unique strengths and needs that must be addressed.
- Gifted ability exists and should be identified and served in students of all ages from all cultures, races, ethnic backgrounds and socioeconomic groups.
- Every child deserves a rigorous and challenging curriculum with tiered programming and a continuum of services.
- Every child shares the responsibility for maximizing the learning opportunities provided.
The Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) defines "gifted" children as: Those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Children under five years of age and who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services.
Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice-exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic and ethnic, cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
• General or specific intellectual ability
• Specific academic aptitude
• Creative or productive thinking
• Leadership abilities
• Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psycho-motor abilities
Do you need more information about ECS Gifted?
Click the buttons at the bottom of this page, or contact the gifted specialist in your child's building.
*Our Gifted Education Handook is being revised and updated for 2019-20! Please visit again soon to access this document.
ECS Gifted Education Handbook- Spanish