While some districts use the term "substitutes" or "substitute teacher," our Guest Teachers are trusted individuals who cover our classrooms when teachers are absent, and are so much more than "subs" in our hearts!
Get started in 5 easy steps!
1. Apply online. Complete an online application for our "Guest Teacher" posting, which will include filling in your resume, providing three current letters of recommendation, and undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts. Unofficial transcript copies are sufficient for application purposes, however official copies will be required for employment.
2. Submit your fingerprints and licensure information. As part of the application process, you will need to get your fingerprints taken and submit proof of licensure. These items can be provided after submitting your online application and before you start training and orientation.
- Fingerprinting can be done at the Eagle County's Sheriff's Office, located across the street from the ECSD District Office at 885 Chambers Avenue in Eagle. If you've already been fingerprinted for another job, you will still need to get your fingerprints taken for employment with Eagle County School District.
- If you have questions about your substitute licensure information, contact the Colorado Department of Education at 303-866-6600, or visit their website.
3. Schedule an interview. Our Human Resources Department will contact you at the email included in your online application to schedule an interview.
4. Complete training and orientation. Eagle County School District provides, and requires, a 6-hour training and orientation program for new Guest Teachers to ensure you have the tools you need to be successful in the classroom. The time spent in these trainings is paid, and is reflected on the employee's first paycheck after completing a posted substitute job.
Our trainings and handbook teach you how to:
- Manage a classroom and avoid common errors most substitute teachers make.
- Teach with authority, even if you don't have a teaching degree or a mastery of the material.
- Foster respect from students.
- Learn strategies to work with students with special needs.
- Implement activities when students finish work early or when there's still time left in the class period.
5. Sign-up for jobs. After completing training and orientation, guest teachers can view available substitute jobs within our Substitute Absence Management System, and sign-up for jobs based on their schedule. Guest teachers also get to choose what grade level(s) and content area(s) they want to substitute for.
NEW! Hiring Bonuses
- Receive an extra $250 when you complete your FIRST job.
- Receive an ADDITIONAL $250 after you complete 10 jobs.
Nervous about managing a classroom? Don't be!
We provide Guest Teacher Training for all of our Guest Teachers to ensure you have the tools you need to be successful in the classroom. Each Guest Teacher also receives a STEDI Substitute Teacher Handbook written specifically for Guest Teachers who want to make a positive difference in the lives of students.
Already a guest teacher looking for more? Become a teacher!
We've partnered with TEACH Colorado to help you achieve your dreams of becoming an educator. TEACH Colorado provides 1-on-1 coaching, financial support, and information about getting your teaching license without a teaching degree. Learn more about their program, or learn about additional pathways with to becoming a teacher.