Immediate Assistance / Asistencia Inmediata FAQs & Guidelines / Preguntas Frequentes y reglas generales
Eagle County Schools' Transportation Department operates 50 buses running 27 bus routes. We transport 3,722 students safely to and from school, covering 2,447 route miles per day. We also transport students all over the state to various sporting events, field trips, and other cultural learning opportunities. Altogether, our buses log around 500,000 miles annually. We have operated without passenger injury for over 2 decades. Safe operation of school buses requires cooperation and collaboration of drivers, riders, parents, and schools. The rules for riding are available below in both English or Spanish.
Beginning October 2, 2017, Smart Tag bus passes are required to ride the bus. If your child has lost their pass please call 970.328.2744 for assistance. The cost for the first replacement bus pass is $5.00. Consecutive bus passes will be $25.00, plus graduating student behavior reports up to the loss of riding privileges for the remainder of the school year. An updated picture of your student is also required for your student to be enrolled in the Smart Tag system and to receive their pass.
Please explain to your child that drivers do not wait for running students. Most student accidents happen from slipping and falling while running. To discourage this unsafe practice, we don't wait for runners and instead ask that children arrive at their five minutes prior to the bus stop arrival time to catch the bus.
Smart Tag Bus Pass SystemAs of October 2, 2017, all ECS students that wish to ride the bus will be required to produce a Smart Tag bus pass each time they ride their assigned school bus. Eligible riders will receive a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) card, much like a ski pass, that will be required for the student to board the bus. The assigned card will be good for the life of the student's ECS career. For the security of the student, photos will not appear on the face of the card. All individual student information will be stored on a password-protected system, that only the parent or guardian of the student assigned to the individual RFID card will be able to access.
Why Smart Tag? How does it work? ¿Cómo Funciona?
Space Available TransportationThe transportation of Variance/Transfer students is available on a Space Available basis on routes that have the capacity/room to do so. Please complete a Space Available Transportation Request form and return it to the Transportation Department no later than September 1st of this school year. Notification of the approval or denial of your request shall be made to you no later than September 15th of each school year. Please plan to transport your student until you have been verified and authorized to ride a requested route. DO NOT drop your student at a bus stop until your student has been approved to ride!
Please note: should student numbers of the regularly assigned students to a bus increase to above those in the calculations below, then Transfer/Variance students will no longer be transported. Parents will be notified in the event that this happens so as to make other transportation arrangements.
The following procedures will be used to determine appropriate capacity:
- Based on the load counts and the 65 passenger bus, we will use the following limits:
At the beginning of the school year, load counts, for each day of the week, on every route will be collected. The greatest number of students will be the number used to determine if a route has appropriate room to transport any additional students, regardless of the day.
- Elementary students: 60 per bus
- Middle school students: 50 per bus
- High school students: 45 per bus
Mixed students on a bus
- Middle & Elementary 55
- High School & Middle 50
Solicitud de Transporte Según Disponibilidad
- We are unable to allow students to ride any bus other than their own unless previously approved as a "Space Available" rider. Exceptions to this would be for a student that needs to get off their own assigned route but at a stop different than their own. All bus notes MUST have the approval of a school official. Spanish notes must be translated for the driver. Students shall provide their notes to the driver upon boarding the bus for verification.
- PRESCHOOL AGED STUDENTS: ALL PRESCHOOLERS MAY ONLY BE RELEASED TO AN APPROVED PARENT OR GUARDIAN THAT IS AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD! THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS! For the safety of all riders/students, buses are unable to wait for parents that are late. Students will be returned to their school for parent pickup.