Teachers & Staff,
Welcome back! We hope you had a great summer. We wanted to drop you a note to tell you about some changes in the works that we hope will help make your lives, and the lives of your students a little better.
GOOGLE APPS FOR EDUCATION
In an effort to optimize the usage of some of the great tools we have already have, we will begin an effort to centralize around the Google Apps for Education (GAFE) services. While all of us have access to these Google tools now, we will begin to focus attention around supporting and promoting their use within the district.
Why Google Apps for Education?
Once you log into one of the Google services, the other services are right there at your finger tips making it easy to click from one to the next. Sharing is a key component to the Google services and this allows for great collaboration among educators, students, or between educators and students. In addition, there are tools for distribution/collection of documents to/from students, and so much more.
What is changing NOW?
Phase one of this process has been completed with the transitioning of students to use the Gmail system in order to access their district email. All student email addresses will still remain the same. However, the way they access their email will change. (see below)
Student Email Directions can be found here.
Future phases will include the transitioning of faculty and staff to use the Gmail system in order to access their district email. These phases will be well communicated and will not result in loss of your current email. Stay tuned for updates.
Here are some additional questions & answers that may help with the big picture.
Google Apps for Education (GAFE) is a “self-contained” cloud-based system, created for each unique school district that offers safe, reliable, monitored student and teacher interaction where the District has much greater control over data and security when compared to regular or personal Google resources.What tools are available with GAFE?
- Work with other students and teachers as you create
So long flash drives!
-Safely and securely store your files
-Access and print your work from anywhere
- All work is saved automatically
- Easily “Share” documents with other students and teachers
- Safely communicate with anyone at our school district (Classmates, Teachers, Librarians)
- Keep everything and find it fast with search
- Share schedules and calendars instantly (ex. activity schedules or classroom assignments)
- Calendar can email or text you reminders about due dates
- A private (viewable only by those in the class) class page where teachers can post assignments, share documents, collect electronic student work, and more
Create a portfolio of your work to share with teachers, family and friends
Anything you create in drive can be added to your web site
- Create a portfolio of your work to share with teachers, family and friends
- Upload and share video assignments
- Create playlists based on your classes (Science, English, etc.)
- Student access to Youtube Education
HANGOUTS (faculty & staff only):
- Text or video chat, collaborate, and communicate more effectively.
- Participate in online trainings and support.
How will GAFE enhance a student’s learning opportunities?
GAFE allows up to 50 teachers and students the ability to collaborate on documents simultaneously in a safe, monitored environment. This type of collaboration has been impossible in the past.
GAFE works on just about any web accessible device. This allows our students to continue learning beyond the classroom with the ability to access their content at any time.
Students and teachers can work in teams, sharing calendars, documents and collaborating ideas to learn more effectively, just as will be expected of them in their careers and life.
How do I login to the Google services?
There are two ways to log into GAFE.
1) Login to http://login.eagleschools.net with an employee e# or student s#, then click on Google icon
2) Visit one of the Google tools and login with your full email address and e# (or s#) password.
Where can I learn more?
Our district Education Technology page: https://www.eagleschools.net/technology/education-technology
(Note: The Education Technology page is currently under construction but be sure to check back often.)
A GAFE learning resource from Google: http://learn.googleapps.com
Have questions? We are here to help. Shoot me an email and I’ll do my best to find an answer to your question(s).